Pacific Marine Expo Announces Cancellation of 2020 Event and Launch of New Digital Experience in Partnership with National Fisherman
“Expo Online” Presented by National Fisherman will take place November 17-19, 2020
SEATTLE,WA—Aug 31, 2020 — Diversified Communications, organizer of Pacific Marine Expo today announced that due to ongoing health and safety issues caused by the COVID-19 pandemic, it has become necessary to cancel the 2020 edition that was planned for December of 2020.
“It is with great disappointment that we have to bring you the news that we will not be able to meet in person in 2020,” said Denielle Christensen, Event Director, Diversified Communications.
Despite some re-opening measures nationally and locally, there are still far too many uncertainties about the impact that COVID-19 will have on travel and mass gatherings this December. Accordingly, it is impossible to hold a live event that would provide an experience that our Expo community would find valuable in Seattle.
The Pacific Marine Expo team will continue to reach out to customers regarding opportunities to build business and reconnect with the community for the 2021 edition.
Additionally, organizers have announced the launch of “Expo Online” Presented by National Fisherman – a digital experience that will allow commercial mariners to come together virtually during these unprecedented times. Hosted on National Fisherman.com, Expo Online will feature three days of free, streaming educational content and special events, discussions in the National Fisherman Forum, and a comprehensive supplier guide in lieu of an exhibit floor.
“While we can’t come together in person this fall, we know there is no substitution for a face to face event and we are working hard to provide you with the resources and education you need to stay connected, now and in the future. Just like the annual show, let Expo Online help you start 2021 with your best foot forward,” said Christensen.
More details about Expo Online will be made available in the coming weeks and further questions and inquiries regarding Pacific Marine Expo can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
A Note from the Event Director:
At this time we are committed to holding an in-person event on the published dates of December 1-3, 2020. However, we are watching and monitoring data and feedback closely and are continually re-evaluating the situation. We expect no major changes or decisions about the show to occur during the summer, we are in what we consider a “watch and wait” period.
I have outlined our current status on varying topics below.
- Reopening of Washington State & King County – We are watching the reopening of WA and King County very closely and the show will follow all state and city mandated guidelines for the event. King county is currently in the “modified phase 1” of reopening. They are still expected to reach phase 4 by Fall. Phase 4 includes large scale events and the reopening of sporting events at full capacity. With the rapid pace at which things are changing right now it is impossible to know exactly what will be in place in December.
- Tradeshow layout and format – As a company we are currently working on show layouts that enable social distancing. However, since no U.S. tradeshows have run yet in this unprecedented environment we have yet to settle on an exact solution for PME. We are working with other show organizers, vendors and event associations to understand what the best practices will be. In our favor, there are other U.S. B2B trade events scheduled to run prior to PME, we will learn and adjust our plans based on the outcomes and feedback from these other events.
- Safety precautions – Again, it is slightly too early to tell exactly what will be in place by December. But we are committed to adhering to State, city and venue guidelines first and then will consider any additional precautions that need to be added. The safety and security of our customers is our number one priority.
- Attendance – We are working with customers to understand their needs and intentions for attending in 2020. So far the feedback has been positive with many fisherman wanting to see the show happen for this year. We are working closely with National Fisherman to reach customers and understand what their business and personal needs are between now and then. With many new demands on the safety of their crew and the impact on their seasons we have heard that PME will be more important than ever to get together to exchange information.
- Travel from Canada – We understand the current difficulty traveling into the U.S. from Canada as well as the current restrictions for returning from the U.S. and are monitoring the situation closely.
A Note from the Event Director:
The health and safety of our attendees and exhibitors is our primary concern. We, Diversified Communications, organizers of the Pacific Marine Expo, are monitoring the situation regarding the Novel Coronavirus, both in the U.S. and internationally.
The current situation has not impacted attendee and exhibitor registration and we look forward to a successful event this fall at the Century Link Field Event Center in Seattle, Washington.
We encourage exhibitors and visitors to take preventive measures and review the links included below from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the World Health Organization:
https://www.cdc.gov/travel (U.S. CDC’s Travelers’ Health page)
Diversified Communications has been responding to public safety situations for many years and has an effective crisis management protocol in place. We have great confidence in our partnerships with the cities and local authorities where our events take place, and we will continue to update our customers on new developments. We look forward to a safe and successful event in Seattle.