Currently, Alaska's seaweed industry today is modest in size. However, the potential for growing seaweed in Alaska is immense, and recent new interest by fishermen and processors has led to hundreds of people attending training workshops and the submission of dozens of new aquatic farm lease applications. This is a predictor of significant future growth of the industry as the cumulative effect of increased private sector interest grows. If all of the new applications for seaweed farms are approved, the acres under production will have increased from zero in 2015 to approximately 2,500 in 2021.
To achieve Alaska’s potential for a new seaweed industry, more buyers of seaweed are needed. However, new buyers must identify prices, demand and markets that are a match for the species, product forms and cost structures that Alaska can produce.
In order to address this bottleneck for industry growth, the Alaska Fisheries Development Foundation (AFDF), with grant support from the Pacific States Marine Fisheries Commission (PSMFC), partnered with McKinley Research Group and other key industry stakeholders to assess current and potential new markets for Alaska seaweed in order to enable industry growth. The report is available on the AFDF and McKinley Research Group websites. Findings are based on a review of available secondary research and seaweed trade, production and market data, as well as telephone interviews with 40 seaweed market participants and experts in North America and Europe.
Join us to hear from a panel consisting of AFDF, McKinley Research Group and other experts about the Alaska seaweed industry, including its growth, market potential and how we are helping industry foster its development.
Specifically, learn about:
• The Mariculture Task Force and newly formed Alaska Mariculture Alliance
• The current status and growth potential of the Alaska seaweed industry
• Opportunities for commercial fishermen to diversify with seaweed
• Overview of U.S. and world seaweed production and trade
• Potential markets for Alaska seaweed
• Potential processes and product forms
• The development of an Alaska brand and market insights
• Key market considerations for Alaska’s seaweed industry development